As organizations grow smaller the result is fewer people striving to do the same amount of work; ergo the need for greater personal efficiency at every level. This is especially true for entrepreneurs and small business owners. Here are five tips I use to increase my personal efficiency at work.
- Create a weekly task or activities list on paper. Even if you’re all electronic, it helps to have a written master list of “To Dos”
- Estimate the time required to complete each task and note it beside the item on your list.
- Prioritize tasks based on urgency and deadline using letters and numbers (ex: A1, A2, B1, B2).
- Starting with your highest priority, schedule tasks on your electronic calendar between appointments, as time permits. Allow yourself to work on less important tasks if you are short of time or can complete it quickly.
- Highlight each task as it is completed on your paper list. This causes you to focus only on those things that are incomplete.
At the end of the day, reflect back on your accomplishments and take pride in your own efficiency.